Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Encounter Conference

Ah, the joys of christian conferencing! this weekend my friend Allisa and I went to Des Moines for a college leadership conference and were reunited with our Chicago brethren from the summer. it was SO good to see everyone again! I didn't realize how much I'd missed everyone until I actually saw them. the weather was GORGEOUS, and we went wading across the Des Moines River. 4 inches, my eye! more like 4 inches for a giant...lets just say we all got a lot wetter than we planned.
we found turtle eggs (sadly i accidentally knocked sand down on a couple and they fell in the water) BUT ONE OF THE TURTLES WAS HATCHING! it was pretty cool. :-)
on the way back from the conference on Sunday afternoon I got to stop in Des Moines to visit my Grandma, who broke her hip a few weeks ago. It seemed like forever since I'd seen her. I am hugely grateful for Dan bringing Allisa and I back and stopping so I could see my Grandma.
the conference itself was extremely helpful in getting me back on track and renewing my heart. there are so many times when i get stuck in the rut of life and I feel like I'm not being effective for Christ at all. I am just plodding along, doing the mundane tasks of life and so often I can forget God's higher calling. I liked what Tom Short, our speaker this weekend, said:
"yes, you ARE a saint if you've accepted Jesus Christ. I like it when people say to me, 'who do you think you are-a saint, or something?'" "well, actually..."
if you have accepted Jesus into your heart and are living your life for Him, then you are a saint. therefore, you must live like one. OF COURSE people look at you differently and hold you to a higher standard-you are a child of the KING!!!
Lord willing, I will be at Faithwalkers in Missouri this winter. It was an amazing conference last year, and i pray God teaches me more about Himself and shows me areas in my life where i need to grow in Him.

No comments: